We’ve been living in this new reality for one month, not like we’re counting. (Okay, maybe we’re counting.) We keep feeling knocked down, but as we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off, we’re reminded of what Coach always tells us:
Some elected officials skipped their town halls, so their constituents got creative: Groups have been following their Congressmen and Senators around town, plastering their pictures on milk cartons, holding candlelight vigils for their safe return, singing them a song to woo them into a hosting events, and even convening their own town halls.
These actions are changing minds:
Support for Obamacare is growing: Only six weeks ago, 48% of people polled said they wanted the ACA to be repealed, but a new poll out yesterday shows 54% of people are now AGAINST a repeal.
Plus, a Republican Congressman said Trump should release his tax returns, and John Boehner conceded that he believes Obamacare won’t be repealed and replaced.
2. Protests continue across the country:
💪 Even the NYT editorial board explicitly called for mass demonstrations:
3. More good news on the legal front this week: An appeals court ruled that assault weapons are not protected by the Second Amendment; the Supreme Court ruled that a 13-year-old girl with cerebral palsy can bring her service dog to school (a win for protecting the rights of people with disabilities); and a Texas judge ruled that the state can’t cut Medicaid funds to Planned Parenthood.
4. Former Obama White House lawyers formed a new organization, United to Protect Democracy, to hold the Trump administration accountable to the law, investigate ethics violations, and fight against “a modern form of authoritarianism.”
5. The Muslim-American community (led by Linda Sarsour) raised more than $113,000 in a single day to help repair a vandalized Jewish cemetery in Missouri. #IMarchWithLinda
6. People are standing up against hate speech:
👉 In even better news, after Roxane Gay pulled her new book from Simon & Schuster last fall to protest Milo’s book deal, she has since received far better offers from other publishers.
👉 A passenger was removed from an airplane for harassing a Pakistani man and woman.
7. The Republican-led legislature in Kansas stood up to the Republican governor and voted against tax cuts that have harmed their state. (The governor vetoed their bill, but it’s not every day you see Republicans voting against tax cuts, and this could complicate things for Trump.)
10. Norway will join the Netherlands and a short list of other countries who pledged funds for abortion access, making up for the shortage caused by the US reinstating its global gag rule.
11. The largest outdoor gear show is looking for a new home to protest Utah Republicans unwilling to protect public lands.
12. NASA for the win! Trump may think he’s the center of the universe, but he’s wrong: A treasure trove of new planets have been discovered. “Finding a second Earth is not just a matter of if, but when.” Good to know we have a few other options out there.
Alison & Stephanie
P.S. If you’re looking for more positivity, check out We, Too, Are America, which shares stories of success within the undocumented, refugee, and immigrant community.
P.P.S. Depeche Mode had some choice words for lifelong fan—and white nationalist—Richard Spencer. 💜